Home 9 Get Involved 9 NEK Long-Term Disaster Recovery & Resilience

Dear Kingdom United Resilience & Recovery Effort (KURRVE) Members and Supporters,

We are official – and are officially asking for your support in the following ways to assist the Northeast Kingdom families and individual survivors impacted by the catastrophic July 2023 flooding. There is a long road ahead for your NEK neighbors and you can help.

We are in need for a volunteers for our Construction Action Team – even for a two-week period. This person would…

  • Help us find contractors to provide estimates
  • Help figure out necessary material donations
  • Help us figure out how materials for work actually get purchased, delivered and distributed

Please contact Kari White at or 802.274.2344 (text or call) with questions or to volunteer

We also need a volunteer to lead our Fundraising Action Team. This person would…

  • Help us solicit tax-deductible donations of $ and materials
  • Stay on top of grant opportunities and applications
  • Help coordinate donation acknowledgements and record-keeping

Please contact Kari White at or 802.274.2344 (text or call) with questions or to volunteer

Finally, we need your tax-deductible donation toward our intial $500,000 fundraising goal for the Northeast Kingdom Unmet Needs Fund for these families.  

  • 100% of your tax-deductible donation will go toward recovery and rebuilding needs for these families and you will receive acknowledgement of your donation for your records from KURRVE’s fiscal agent Northeast Kingdom Human Services (NKHS).
  • Donating is simple:


Make check out to NKHS and note that your donation is for KURRVE on Memo line. 

Mail to:  NKHS

P.O. Box 724
Newport, VT 05855


  • Enter requested information (Name, Address, E-mail)

  • Choose “KURRVE: Long-Term Flood Recovery” option

  • Select or Enter Donation Amount and Credit Card information

  • Hit Submit button


Contact NKHS Chief Financial Officer and KURRVE Treasurer, Denis Houle, at or 802-334-6744 ext 2191 to discuss a direct deposit or transfer option



The Kingdom United Resilience & Recovery Effort (KURRVE) is a collaboration of neighbor-to-neighbor networks, faith and business communities and other local nonprofit organizations, with the mission to provide services to individuals and families affected by the July 2023 flooding in Caledonia and Orleans Counties and to strengthen Caledonia, Essex and Orleans Counties’ regional response and recovery from any future crisis or disaster events, manmade or natural, through a coordinated community-driven and regional approach which provides for the immediate and long-term unmet needs of our Northeast Kingdom community members.



  • Help us meet our NEK Unmet Needs Fund goal of $500,000 by sending  a tax-deductible donation check to NKHS, P.O. Box 724, Newport, VT 05855 with a note on the Memo line that the donation is for KURRVE.
  • Interested in becoming an Individual or Organzational Member of KURRVE?  Contact Leadership Council Co-Chair Kari White at
  • Contact Northeast Kingdom Organizing to volunteer time and/or resources:  802.321.3317 or organizing@nekorganizing,org 


  • Contact 2-1-1: Have masks to share? Five gallon buckets? Chainsaw skills and time? An excavator? Call this number or visit their website to share resources. This is also the number to call to report flood damage or to get support with critical need for resources.
  • The State has set up the Vermont Volunteer Register Management System to help match willing volunteers with the areas of greatest need:
  • The Vermont Community Foundation has established the VT Flood Response and Recovery Fund 2023 to support ongoing recovery efforts.  To learn more or donate:
  • United Ways around the state are developing a disaster relief fund. Donate here to support neighbors who will need help with replacing food and possessions, repairing property, and more.
  • The Vermont Main Street Flood Recovery Fund will provide small grants to small businesses impacted by the flood until additional resources can be accessed:


Deadlines to note:

  • ASAP — If you have insurance, contact your home/renter/flood/car insurers and file a claim because FEMA will need documentation of what insurance will not cover. Also apply for help from FEMA at the same time.
  • September 29, 2023 — Apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance by this date — for all affected counties.
  • The deadline to apply for FEMA and SBA is now October 12th in every declared county throughout Vermont.
  • October 31, 2023 — Apply for FEMA assistance by this date. This is a new deadline — but don’t wait to apply!
  • October 31, 2023 — If you apply for a SBA loan, apply by this date.
  • 60 days — Appeal any FEMA decision within 60 days of the date on the decision letter.

FEMA/SBA Process

  • Apply to your insurer(s) as FEMA needs this information before they make a determination.
  • Disaster survivors with insurance should not wait for their settlement before applying to FEMA and for an SBA loan.
  • Apply to FEMA by visiting a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center, online at or by calling the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362.  Volunteers from Hardwick Area Neighbor to Neighbor or Northeast Kingdom Organizing are available to support you in these efforts.
  • Along with applying for FEMA assistance (which may be denied or minimal), EVERYONE needs to apply for an SBA loan – even individualseven if they don’t qualify for the loan based on credit score and/or ability to repay.  Applying unlocks people’s ability to qualify for a variety of further assistance.  Important things to note about this loan: Interest rates are very low (2.5% to 3%) and people have 12 months before they have to start repaying.  Also, anyone can turn down the loan within 6 months if they don’t end up needing the money (see more about SBA below).
  • Denial for an SBA loan will put you back with FEMA where you may now be eligible for FEMA assistance even if originally denied.  This is part of the process.
  • There is repair assistance for uninsured and underinsured homeowners for wells, furnaces, and private roads and bridges.


Vermont Legal Aid has established a very helpful website with information and contacts for those seeking disaster assistance, including the handling of appeals.  Here’s the website link:

On this page we list benefits, recovery programs and common legal problems that can come up after a flooding disaster in Vermont with links to information and help. If you live in Vermont, contact us if you have questions. Tell us if your problem is due to the flooding disaster. We may not be able to directly help you, but we can point you to resources that can help.


Center for an Agricultural Economy:  Meals are available at the following restaurants on a first-come, first-served basis. Go to participating stores during their open hours and ask for VT Emergency Eats meals. No paperwork or registration required.

  • Front Seat Coffee – Hours: Everyday 7 am – 4 pm – (802) 472-7947 -101 S Main St, Hardwick, VT 05843
  • Smith’s Grocery – Hours: Monday – Saturday 6 am – 9 pm, Sunday 7 am – 9 pm – (802) 533-2631 – 767 Main St, Greensboro Bend, VT 05842
  • The Genny – Craftsbury – Hours: Monday – Saturday 7 am – 7 pm, Sundays 9 am – 7 pm – (802) 586-2440 – 118 S Craftsbury Rd, Craftsbury, VT 05826
  • The Genny – Albany -Hours: Monday – Saturday 7 am – 7 pm, Sundays 9 am – 7 pm – (802) 755-9062 – 842 Main St, Albany, VT 05820
  • Barton Baking Company – (Reopening Oct 2nd) Hours: Monday – Friday 5 am – 2 pm, Saturday – Sunday 7 am – 2 pm – (802) 525-4494 – 155 Main Street (Orange Section), Barton, VT 05822

Questions? Call 802-472-1025 or email

Green Mountain Farm To School (Caledonia, Orleans):  Meals are available at Olney’s General Store (Orleans) during the following hours: Sun- 7am-7pm, Mon-Thurs 5am-8pm, Fri- 5am- 9pm, and Sat- 6am-9pm. 100 meals per day are currently available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

See information from Center for an Agricultural Economy above for additional information about meals available in Caledonia and Orleans counties.

Meals will be made available to Ethan Allen employees and others impacted by the flooding.



Need help applying for FEMA and SBA before the October 12 deadline? Want to file a FEMA appeal? Skeptical about applying for an SBA loan?

Northeast Kingdom Organizing (NEKO) is helping with applications and appeals.  Please call NEKO at (802) 321-3317.

We still need volunteers.  See  or call NEKO at (802) 321-3317.


Hardwick Area Neighbor to Neighbor: or 802-441-3301*

  • Need to submit a FEMA application by the October 12th deadline but not sure how?
  • Wondering about financial resources to help cover a new furnace or appliances?
  • Not sure how your small business can access financial resources to recover from the flood costs?
  • Are you a renter and want to explore what your options are for assistance?

Neighbor-to-Neighbor volunteers are able to help answer these questions and serve as financial advocates for individuals and small businesses who could use a partner to help wade through online applications and the bureaucracy of seeking financial support – an often overwhelming task.

If you would like assistance in applying to FEMA or appealing a decision, please email or call Hardwick Neighbors, and a volunteer will contact you to schedule a one-on-one meeting to explore options.*

Relief Distribution Hub open every day until further notice from 9am-7:00pm at the Smith’s Store at 767 Main Street in Greensboro Bend

The Civic Standard is serving a free community meal every in the park next door to the Civic every Wednesday at 5:30pm.  Get in touch to volunteer, and stop by to share a meal with your neighbors.


The Disaster Distress Helpline (DDH) is the first national hotline dedicated to providing year-round disaster crisis counseling. This toll-free, multilingual, crisis support service is available 24/7 to all residents in the U.S. and its territories who are experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters. Call or text 1-800-985-5990.

Call 9-8-8 to help yourself or someone else deal with the emotional toll of this crisis

If you or someone you know is in need of mental health support due to any level of stress related to Vermont’s recent flooding emergencies, the Trauma Recovery Network (“TRN”) of VT is able to offer short-term and effective support using EMDR. Licensed EMDR clinicians are offering up to 10 sliding scale and pro-bono sessions to anyone affected regardless of insurance via telehealth and in-person. Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is an evidence-based therapy which can reduce and even eliminate the negative effects of stressful and traumatic experiences. For more information, please complete this brief online form: 

The NEK Council on Aging has staff to support and guide elderly and disabled NEK residents in accessing resources. You can reach them directly at 802-748-5182 or 802-334-2190 or toll-free at 800-642-5119.

Northeast Kingdom Human Services is available 24 hours a day at 802-334-6744 if you need to talk.


Efficiency Vermont Funding for Rebuilding
Efficiency Vermont will launch a new flood relief programs on Sept. 5 to help income-eligible Vermont homeowners, renters and business rebuild. The programs will help replace home heating systems, water heating systems, and other appliances damaged or destroyed by the floods. The new programs can also be used to upgrade home electric panels to accommodate electrification efforts now or in the future. Sign up for their newsletter at to be alerted when the program starts.

BEGAP Grants for Businesses & Nonprofits
Funding is still available! The $20 million dollar Business Emergency Gap Assistance Program through the Department of Economic Development is for businesses, nonprofits, and landlords that suffered physical flood damage. The grant funds are to help businesses reopen their doors, bring employees back to work, and help displaced Vermonters return to their rental housing. It’s not too late to apply. Learn more at

BEGAP Grant Assistance for Farmers
$1 million is available for agricultural operations that suffered flood damage. Grants are reviewed on a first come, first serve basis. Learn more at

VT Main Street Recovery Fund 
Does your business need immediate cash assistance until additional support is available? NEK businesses are eligible to apply for up to $2,500 for equipment replacement, operation expenses and supplies to help with clean up. There is also an opportunity to reapply as additional funds become available. Learn more at

Free Legal Services
Vermont Law and Graduate School is offering free legal services to residential and commercial flood victims. More information available at

VTSBDC Disaster Recovery Guide for Business at

Vermont Dept. of Labor Disaster Unemployment Assistance at

USDA Rural Development Disaster Assistance at

The Vermont Flood Response and Recovery Fund at




  • Vermont Department of Health:  Before, During and After a Flood (including free water testing kits):
  • The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) provides information on how to safely clean up after a flood, and how to prevent mold in your home or business:
  • Vermont’s Agency of Natural Resources has a page of resources on how to safely clean up after a flood pump out a basement, and take other mitigation measures:
  • This is a challenging and frightening time for many people.  If you need mental health support, or know someone who does, the SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline is available 24/7/365 at 1-800-985-5990.


  • The Vermont Agency of Agriculture Food and Markets has page of resources on reporting damage and loss, crop growers, produce growers, dairy operations, meat and poultry processors, and recovery funding opportunities:
  • UVM Extension has an extensive page of resources on managing flood damage:  
  • For help in assessing and reporting field and crop damage, you can contact the USDA Farm Service Agency County Offices: Caledonia and Essex Counties- Patty Matte, County Executive Director, 802-748-2641 X 3146, Orleans County-  Heather Mateja, County Executive Director, 802-334-6090 X 128,


Sign up for VTALERT to get real-time alerts and notices for your health and safety

SBA Loan Information – Disaster Loan Fact Sheet / Disaster Loan One Page How To for Home Owners and Renters / Disaster Assistance One Pager for Businesses and Nonprofits / News Release

Health Information –

Emergency Management –

Agriculture Information –

Environmental Information –

Mental Health:

National Weather Service –

Road Conditions –

Vermont 211 – Dial 211 or online